Wednesday, October 7, 2026

My September Options Scorecard

 My September Options Scorecard: Why I Care More About Process Than Profit

At the end of every month, I review my options activity.

Not to celebrate winning trades.

Not to obsess over profits.

And certainly not to compare my results with anyone else's.

I do it for one reason:

I want to know whether I followed my process.

Over the years, I've learned that good outcomes can come from bad decisions, and bad outcomes can come from good decisions.

That's why I've become much more focused on measuring the quality of my decision-making than the dollar amount attached to a particular month.

September was a strong month by almost every measure. But the thing that encouraged me most wasn't the outcome. It was how consistently I followed my framework across a very large number of decisions.


Why I Don't Focus on Profit Numbers

Many investing blogs lead with gains and losses.

There's nothing wrong with that approach.

But personally, I've never been completely comfortable making profit figures the centerpiece of my investing story.

There are a few reasons.

First, every portfolio is different.

A gain that looks impressive in one account may be insignificant in another. Without knowing portfolio size, capital at risk, margin usage, and position sizing, raw dollar figures rarely tell the complete story.

Second, focusing on profits can create the wrong incentives.

It's easy to admire a trade that generated a large gain while ignoring the risks that were taken to achieve it.

I've become much more interested in sustainability than excitement.

Finally, process is something I can control.

Markets fluctuate.

Volatility changes.

Premiums rise and fall.

My discipline should not.


My September Scorecard

Here's how September looked from a process perspective.

MetricResult
Win Rate100%
Loss Rate0%
Profitable Buy-to-Close Cycles95%
Profitable Assignment Cycles5%
Profit From Buy-to-Close Trades79.9%
Profit From Assignments20.1%
Top-Five Ticker Concentration64.9%
Overall GradeA

At first glance, the numbers appear almost perfect.

In reality, they require context.


Why September Was One of My Most Interesting Months

One statistic stood out immediately when I reviewed my trading log.

During September I completed:

Activity TypeCount
Options Transactions74
Stock Transactions90
Total Transactions164

What impressed me wasn't the volume itself.

It was the ability to remain disciplined across 164 separate decisions.

Every transaction represents a choice:

  • Enter a position
  • Exit a position
  • Add shares
  • Reduce risk
  • Sell a cash-secured put
  • Sell a covered call
  • Roll a contract
  • Accept assignment
  • Take profits

Making a handful of good decisions is relatively easy.

Maintaining discipline across 164 independent decisions is much harder.

September provided a meaningful stress test for my framework.


What a 100% Win Rate Doesn't Tell You

A perfect win rate sounds impressive.

But it doesn't tell the whole story.

For example, the scorecard does not fully capture:

  • Opportunity cost
  • Unrealized stock losses
  • Surrendered upside from covered calls
  • Margin interest
  • Tax implications

A covered call can be profitable and still leave money on the table.

A cash-secured put can expire successfully while tying up capital that could have been deployed elsewhere.

This is why I treat win rate as an informational metric, not a complete measure of performance.


The Most Important Number on the Scorecard

Ironically, the most meaningful number wasn't the win rate.

It was this:

95% of profitable outcomes came from buy-to-close cycles.

That tells me something important.

Most of the month's success came from:

  • Selling premium
  • Managing positions
  • Taking profits
  • Closing risk

Rather than simply hoping stocks moved in my favor.

That aligns perfectly with my objective.

I don't want a strategy that relies on luck.

I want a strategy that generates repeatable income through disciplined execution.


A Trade That Reinforced the Framework

One trade during the month perfectly illustrated my philosophy.

I recently closed several call contracts for a gain.

Could I have waited longer?

Possibly.

Could I have squeezed out a little more premium?

Maybe.

But that wasn't the point.

The position had already generated most of its available profit.

At that stage, the remaining reward didn't justify the remaining risk.

So I closed it.

The decision wasn't driven by hope.

It wasn't driven by prediction.

It was driven by process.

Those are the decisions I want to make repeatedly.


Why Activity Matters

Many traders judge a month exclusively by profit.

I look at execution quality.

September required:

  • 74 options transactions
  • 90 stock transactions
  • 164 total transactions

A strategy that works during a month with very little activity may not be robust.

A strategy that continues to perform well across a large number of decisions is often more reliable.

For me, the transaction count serves as evidence that the framework remained effective under real-world conditions.


The Portfolio Is Still Built on Stocks

One thing the September data revealed is that my approach is not purely options-driven.

In fact:

  • Stock transactions: 90
  • Options transactions: 74

Stock activity exceeded options activity.

That reflects how I think about investing.

The stock portfolio remains the foundation.

Options simply enhance the portfolio by generating additional income and improving capital efficiency.

Covered calls and cash-secured puts are tools.

They are not the portfolio itself.


Concentration Risk Still Matters

One metric I continue to monitor closely is profit concentration.

Nearly two-thirds of September's profits came from just five tickers.

That isn't necessarily a problem.

But it is something worth tracking.

A portfolio becomes more fragile when too much depends on a small number of positions.

Over time, I would like to see a broader distribution of income generation across multiple sectors and holdings.

Diversification isn't exciting.

But it generally makes investing more resilient.


Why September Earned an "A"

The grade wasn't based on profits.

It was based on execution.

September earned an A because:

✅ I followed my framework.

✅ Risk remained controlled.

✅ Position sizing stayed disciplined.

✅ Profit-taking remained consistent.

✅ Emotion stayed largely out of the decision-making process.

Would I love every month to look this clean?

Of course.

But the real test comes when market conditions become less favorable.

That's when a process proves its value.


What I'm Actually Trying to Measure

At this stage of my investing journey, I'm less interested in questions like:

How much did I make this month?

And more interested in questions like:

Did I follow my framework?

Did I manage risk correctly?

Did I allocate capital efficiently?

Am I becoming a better investor?

Because if those answers remain consistently positive, portfolio performance usually follows over time.


Final Thoughts

September was a strong month.

But the most encouraging part wasn't the win rate, the grade, or any specific trade.

It was the confirmation that the framework continued to work across 164 separate decisions.

Markets change.

Volatility changes.

Conditions change.

A good process adapts.

I'm not trying to achieve perfection.

I'm trying to achieve consistency.

If I can continue making disciplined decisions, managing risk responsibly, and generating recurring income while avoiding major mistakes, I will consider that a success regardless of the exact dollar amount attached to the month.

Because in the long run, consistency compounds just as powerfully as capital.


Disclaimer

This article reflects my personal investing experience and review process. It is provided solely for educational purposes and should not be considered financial, investment, legal, or tax advice. Investing and options trading involve risk, including the potential loss of capital. Past performance does not guarantee future results.

No comments:

Post a Comment